In 1841, Isaac P. Bedell established our family firm decades before Staten Island had electricity. Like most carpenters and furniture makers of the time, he was often called upon to build caskets, which naturally led him to a career as a funeral director.
In 1909, Isaac’s son James W. Bedell took over the firm and renamed it the J.W. Bedell Undertaker and Embalmer. The funeral home was moved to its present location on Amboy Road.
After James’ death in 1921, his son, Herbert Bedell continued his father and grandfather’s legacy by assuming responsibility for day-to-day management of the funeral home and sharing ownership with his siblings. The firm was renamed J.W. Bedell, Inc.
Gradually, families stopped holding visitations in private homes, so the floor plan of the facility was modified to better accommodate the community’s growing need to hold viewings and services at the funeral home.
In 1952, Joseph E. Bedell, nephew of Herbert, took over the business after Herbert moved out of the funeral home and built a home on an adjoining lot. In 1956, a sun porch along side of the building was enclosed to make more space for the chapel.
In 1964, a large addition was added onto the side of the building doubling the size of the funeral home.
In 1991, Paul J. Pizzo bought the business from Joseph after managing it for several years. It was then named Bedell-Pizzo Funeral Home.
Under Paul’s caring direction, we continue the Bedell family’s commitment to compassionate, attentive service and dedication to the community. Part of that commitment includes continually adding service options to meet the needs of today’s families and improving our facilities for greater comfort.